My kids love sweets – especially anything with chocolate – so I am constantly trying to make recipes that get them excited to eat, while not sabotaging their health. By taking a plant based approach to baking, swapping conventional flours for more easily digestible whole grains, and adding in power packed superfoods, commonly unhealthy options can transform in to nutrient rich meals!
As a mom, I also have limited time and energy. I want quick and simple recipes that do not require a ton of clean up. This recipe requires one appliance – a high powered blender. Once you’re done, simply add a little soap and water and blend your blender clean. It’s that easy!
These muffins are a crowd pleaser at my house – we eat them for breakfast and also enjoy them as snacks. Batches are gone within a few days, so I find myself making them over and over again! They are also great for play dates 🙂
Here’s what you need:
- A blender
- 2 bananas
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt (dairy yogurt could also be substituted)
- 2 cups old fashioned oatmeal, or steel cut oats for heartier muffins (gluten free if necessary)
- 2 vegan “eggs” (I currently use Namaste foods egg replacer, but you could also use flax eggs – 1 tbsp flax to 2.5 tbsp water per egg – let sit 5 mins)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 tsp Maca Powder (the secret superfood ingredient – optional, but gives a unique nutty flavor, while also packing a nutritious punch)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 6-8 medjool dates
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (for highest nutritional benefit be sure chocolate doesnot contain milk, as milk interferes with the absorption of the great antioxidants found in cocoa)
Place all ingredients in blender, exceptthechocolate chips. Add those last and incorporate into batter with spoon.
Fill a 12 cup muffin tin and bake at 375° for 18 minutes.
These are so delicious as is, but sometimes I like to mix it up.
Some things I’ve tried:
- top them with a nut butter you love
- break them apart and throw in a smoothie or yogurt bowl
- Cut in 1/2 and top with bananas or another favorite fruit
I hope that you enjoy!!
Leave a Reply